Sherman Alexie Event Keeps Attendees Perched At The Edge Of Their Seats

by Grant Livingstone

With a meet and greet performance at Capitol Hill’s Egyptian Theater last Wednesday beloved northwest writer Sherman Alexie took to the stage.  He was introduced by students from the American Indian Student Association, as well as Erik Rios, who told a memorable story of holding up a sign at one of Alexie’s book-signing events in order to persuade him to come to Seattle Central. Alexie, who did the event at the Egyptian Theater for free, finally came to the stage. The atmosphere was eager and attendees remained perched at the edge of their seats for what Alexie might say next.  The 2-hour meet and greet was packed with memorable one-liners, home videos, pro-gay rights conversations, and talk of a Nerf war apocalypse inside the Alexie household.

Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.
Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.

When the topic of gay rights was brought up by an audience member, Alexie had no problem voicing his opinion on what he believed to be right.  “Of course I think that gays deserve to get married.  Who doesn’t deserve to wake up at 3 in the morning and step on LEGO’s in the dark to get to their kids room.”…”You know what, if you really want gays to stop having sex then let them get married, married life changes everything, especially with kids in the mix.  It doesn’t matter if you’re gay or straight, black or white.”

Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.
Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.
Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.
Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.
Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.
Photograph by Sheikh Faraaz.