New City Collegian Wins Society of Professional Journalists Award for In-Depth Reporting

This morning we received word New City Collegian writer Ian Awesome-Finkenbinder’s article ‘Rats, Needles, or Just Propaganda’ was selected for a Society of Professional Journalists award. The article placed among the top three pieces for Region 10 (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and Washington) in the SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards and was selected for best ‘Online In-Depth Reporting’ from a large college. The actual ranking of the article will be unveiled at the SPJ conference in mid-April. If the article takes 1st place than it will move on to a national circuit.

The award-winning article exposed major inaccuracies reported by Seattle Community College District admins on the price of Occupy’s stay at SCCC that was exacerbated when reported in a Seattle Post-Intelligencer article.

This is the first time we have submitted articles for awards since The City Collegian was shuttered in 2008; which continually won up to its demise…and now has returned to form in rebirth. Here is a list of our previous accolades:

2012-(?) place for Online In-Depth Reporting, Society Of Professional Journalists Region 10 Mark of Excellence Award-Ian ‘Friggin’ Awesome

-2008 1st Place for Feature writing, Personality Profile, Staff Editorials, Editorial cartoon, Photo Essay; 2nd Place Sports Feature Reporting, Individual Commentary; 3rd Place Sports Feature Reporting, Editorial cartoon, Washington Community College Journalism Association

-2008 2nd Place Sweepstakes, Washington Community College Journalism Association

-2007 2nd Place General Excellence, Society Of Professional Journalists Region 10 Mark of Excellence Award

-2007 1st Place for Feature writing, News writing, News photography, Editorial cartoon, and other awards, Washington Community College Journalism Association

2007 1st Place Sweepstakes, Washington Community College Journalism Association

-2006 Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Award finalist

-1ST Place General Excellence, Society Of Professional Journalists Region 10 Mark of Excellence Award

-2005 Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Award finalist

-2003-2004 multiple individual awards from Greater Northwest Student Journalism Awards

One Comment