Broken Elevators – Fail or Epic Win?

Broken Elevators – Fail or Epic Win?

By Vinh Q. Nguyen

Students line up in front of two elevators by the North entrance of the Broadway Edison building, but only one is operational. While most elevators work fine at Seattle Central some go up and don’t come down.

North BE Elevator/Alexander M. Koch
North BE Elevator/Alexander M. Koch

The elevators on campus are built by ThyssenKrupp Elevators Company, one of the world’s leading elevator businesses.  According to the Director of Facilities and Plant Operations, Chuck Davis, these elevators came with the building when in 1966.

The quality of these elevators is guaranteed by the company and built under supervision of the State of Washington and the Labor Union.  Students need to be cautious to follow weight and “people-per- elevator” limits stated inside the elevators to avoid any inadvertent error.

There are nine elevators inside the BE building, two by the North entrance, two by the South, one by the Harvard entrance, two by Broadway, one next to the Compactor and one on the West side Reception of the building.

For most students, only six of these are noticeable.

”These elevators are too small. They are slow every morning whenever I go to school. The schools should install more elevators for the students in order for us not to be late,” opined Brian Cheng, a Community Assistant at SCCC.

“Electrical device are likely to be broken once in a while,” explains Davis Richard Anderson, a student at SCCC. He goes on to say “I wouldn’t walk upstairs to my classes. My classes are on the 4th floor; it is exhausting getting up there by foot.”

However, a 2010 NCC article noted there are many side benefits in trucking up the stairs. A 12-week study conducted in Women’s Health found that students who took the stairs, “had increased lung capacity by 8.6%, lower body fat by 1.7% diastolic blood pressure down 2.3% and bad cholesterol LDL went down a whopping 3.9%.”

From the perspective of the people who work in this building all year round, Sarah from the BE Learning Center shares her opinion, “the elevators are always packed with people. They also have some complications, but only once every blue moon. The school took actions to improve the situation by upgrading four elevators in the last quarter of 2011.”

While there are limited options for a problem like this, Chuck Davis recommends, “taking the stairs;” the health benefits are apparent while the elevator your waiting for may not.