22nd Annual Students of Color Conference Hits Yakima This Weekend

By Ken Hamilton

This weekend is the 22nd Annual Students of Color Conference in Yakima. The conference is put on annually by the Washington State Multicultural Services Directors Council and is an opportunity for students of color at community, technical, and four-year colleges across Washington to get together and advocate for causes and social issues that are relevant to everyone.

Marrio Matthews, a Seattle Central student, and Students of Color Conference attendee says, “It’s about options, and discussion. It’s about opportunity.”

This is a chance for students who may not otherwise have the opportunity to cross paths to get together and candidly discuss the state of affairs for students in colleges across the state, the community at large, make connections, network, and learn.

“Other leadership conferences like this, they tend to stay away from some of the hot-button issues,” he says with a laugh, “Not there.”

Connecting college education with social justice activism is certainly one of the goals of the conference, as is creating a space for students to network and reach out to members of communities – The title of this year’s conference is “Forever Strong! Honoring Our Past, Empowering Our Future” and will take place this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (April 20-22).